1.23.2010

Dear John

I really love to read. It is one of my greatest pleasures, curling up with a good book and getting lost in the world that the author created and you imagine in your head. But unfortunately I don’t get to read as often as I would like because of school. I spend hours upon hours reading for school, so pleasure reading takes a back seat until I have breaks. I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I am for this December when I am DONE with school! Then once again I can read for fun.


I do manage to squeeze in a few books here and there. My most recent read is


Nicholas Sparks…why can’t you ever write a happy ending? Is it in your DNA to make sad and bittersweet books?? Dear John is about a summer romance between Savanna and John. They are total opposites, they meet they fall in love and something takes them apart. Sound familiar??? Like a ton of other books by Sparks? Yeah, that’s what I thought. But the one thing that I was very curious about was this book is centered around 9/11. I wanted to see how Sparks could write about this tragedy and not offend anyone, because it is still a touchy subject to many 9 years later. He did a pretty good job with it, mainly because he really didn’t talk about it. It really consisted of about 3 sentences. But it was a story we knew well about a soldier, a patriotic call of duty after our homeland was attacked. I have to say that my favorite part of this book as the underlying story of a man who finds love and becomes a better person from it. He defines his moral compass because of his love. Cheesy, yes but very romantic because it is true that love changes you.

Now a movie has been made about this book. I’m trying to decide if I will see it in the theater or wait till it’s out of DVD. The latter will probably win out.

Over all I will give this book a 3/5. Mainly for it feeling too much like the rest of the books Sparks has written.

No comments: