1.02.2010

Start of a New Decade

I cannot believe that it is the start of a new decade! This one is the most significant of my life because I can really stop and think about all that has happened in my life over the past 10 years. I am old enough to understand the significance of my milestones. Oddly enough it seems as if the last 10 years have flown by at warp speed. It seems almost like yesterday that we were ringing in 2000 and hoping that all the computers wouldn’t crash. In the past 10 years I have graduated high school, got my first job, started college, graduated from college, got my first nursing job, met Ryan, moved out on my own, said goodbye to loved ones and so many other things.


The most important thing I can say about the last decade is that I have grown as a person and am really happy of who I have become. I have such an amazing family and friends. I have met a man who I love beyond words can say and I know that I will spend the rest of my life with. This core has provided me the strength to explore life and grow. This is a gift that is priceless. These people are the reasons for living. Without them I would be nothing. I have learned (and am still working on) letting go of things and not stressing about things that I cannot control. I get to go to an amazing job that I love and give back to society each day that I am there. I have learned to be grateful for the things in my life and appreciate the small things in life. I learned to create and have found it such a satisfying outlet.

Lastly I have learned not to compare the significance of my life based on others. Life really isn’t about the destination but the journey. It doesn’t matter where you went to school (or if you went to college), how long it took you to graduate, what you majored in, how much money you make, what kind of car you drive, if you own a house or rent an apartment, or so many other material things that I see (and used to myself) measure my worth on. I believe what truly measures the significance of one’s life are things like love. Do you love and let those in your life know what they mean to you, do you laugh every day, do you challenge yourself to think and try to learn something new every day, do you give back to your community in some way, do you help others, and lastly do you go to bed every night and realize how lucky you are to have lived another day. In my mind those are things that make a good person and a full life.

So here is to another year. Happy New Year!

No comments: