2.16.2009

Why I hated Confessions of a Shopaholic, the movie

They ruined this movie! I don't understand how they could manage to do this, but they did. They had the perfect script written in the book and they changed it all! I don't mind the obvious fact that the movie takes place in New York instead of London, which was what I heard so many people complaining about during the filming. That I could get past, but the rest of the pivotal plot points that they changed made me want to cry.

Now before I go any further, let me say this. I probably would have loved the movie had I not read the series of books. It was cute and I adore Isla Fisher. But I just has such high expectations. I know that the movie is never as good as the book, but they didn't have to do what they did.

Ok, reasons why it was bad:
  • They clumped together parts of all the books into the one movie. I felt so robbed of these story lines
  • Becky's job storyline was messed up. Really, why did they change this. The whole book was based on the irony that a shopaholic was working for a savings magazine and got a TV spot giving advice. They did get around to this in the movie, but I didn't like the way they did this.
  • Alicia Bitch Long Legs. She did look just like I imagined her. But once again they made her a much smaller role in the movie. She really deserved a bigger storyline
  • Luke. He wasn't nearly as cute as I had hoped. Plus they made him a struggling suit. In the books Luke is the man. He owns his own company and takes names and kicks ass. Not so much in this movie.
These were my main gripes. I could go all day, but now I'm just getting depressed. However I want to re-read the series of books just to remind myself why I loved them so much.

No comments: